Thursday 10 May 2012

It's The Massive Things...

D'you know how difficult it is to look good?

It's a common symptom of the debilitating disease known as 'adolescence', but that doesn't take away from the fact that many of Teenworld's population suffers from sometimes crippling auto-aesthetic dislike. 
It comes for us when we least expect it, like when we're watching TV. Adverts for face scrubs that feature spotless, tan, thin youths with gleaming white smiles (for some reason, these people seem to use the same product on their face as their teeth) and a crowd of adoring peers surrounding them. Makeup promotions with photoshopped-to-shit faces apparently showing what you will look like if you smear this brown paste all over your blemish-ridden face. Soap operas where even the lowliest of teen hoodlums have miraculously acquired a cure-all spot-murderer, and most of the population appears to be really very attractive. 
And able to fit into size 5 jeans.

What makes it all the worse is that there are people in every school that have had just the same aesthetic blessing that God has, in his slightly misguided wisdom, not bothered with for the rest of us. You've seen them, haven't you? The ones who never once have had to scrub their face red raw, never had to squeeze a persistent yellowhead that seems to have claimed squatter's rights upon the end of their nose, never had to worry about their looks because it all just seems to work. Naturally, like they were born with the perfect metabolism, and without grease glands underneath their skin.

The trouble is, such people are usually either the nicest humans you've ever had the sincere pleasure of meeting, or absolute dickheads. This presents a problem either way: if they're nice, you can't exactly go up and smack them round the face for being so goddamn handsome/pretty. However, if they're dickheads, then they're more than likely also stronger than you, so if you slapped them, they'd Hulk Smash you into the carpet before you could even raise a hand to protect your pustule-encrusted face.

Even clothes are hard to get right. I only fairly recently started to really care about how I dressed and how my hair looked. Now I look back at photos from as close as a year ago and I cringe inwardly at how dorky I must have looked.
Yes, I just used the word 'dorky' in the 21st century. Get over it.
As an added bonus, I tend to wear hoodies a lot. Now, apparently, pockets on hoodies aren't for use as pockets. No, they're 'decorational'. Whatever mum. Anyway, I use these pockets rather a lot when I wear hoodies. The upshot of this is that they have now stretched or something, so now it looks rather like I have a small potbelly whenever I put one on. 
Either that, or I'm pregnant.
And I don't think I'm pregnant.
...

Where did I put that pregnancy test?


I constantly worry about how I look, how my clothes look, how I sound. I don't think I'm in any way attractive. I hate my smile. I think my laugh is annoying. I think my breath stops being minty fresh far too soon after the toothbrush has left. I hate my spots. My head is too big. I'm awkward in social situations, especially with girls. I'm not thin/muscly enough. I'm not athletic. I'm not good enough.
These thoughts affect me every day, as I'm sure they do many, many other people my age or similar. And I'm sure that these people who I described as 'attractive' and 'blessed' feel much the same way. The problem is that none of us know what anyone else is thinking. That's the real issue- because not one person knows what another really, truly thinks of them, they assume the worst.

I've fairly ranted on a bit haven't I? Oops...

So, let me take this moment to tell you, whatever age, gender, height, weight or colour you are, you are beautiful. You are brilliant, you are amazing. You are special, so don't hate what makes you so. The people who talk to you do so because they want to know you. The ones that don't, that look at you weirdly, that insult you or put you down... they feel inadequate, and so they want you to feel the same as them. Bring you down to their level. You carry on living as you want, soon enough they'll see how how you are and try it for themselves. So what if you have spots? So what if you have a big bum? So what if you don't look like the models who starve themselves and live a life of never being able to eat what they want? So what if you can't fit into those jeans? They're just not special enough for you. Don't change yourself because someone's making you do it. 

Be yourself- it's the best thing you can be.




I should be a motivational speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment